Saturday 23 September 2023

The Sunday Post 26; It's Monday! What are you reading? 26

 


The Sunday Post - a chance for bloggers to have a catch-up - is hosted by Kimberly, here: https://caffeinatedbookreviewer.com/ and It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Kathryn, here: https://thebookdate.wordpress.com/

Okay, the week that was ...

I had a very sore right arm on Monday - I still don't know what I did to it, but even driving home from work was a struggle, and I had to go around corners with only one hand on the steering wheel.

I had Tuesday off luckily, so I thought "painkillers and rest" which is what I did, while bingeing Only Murders in the Building. Wednesday morning I woke up, had a shower and realised that my arm was too sore for me to put a bra on. So I got as dressed as I could, and took a sick day. More painkillers and rest, and that - so far - has done the trick. 

My workmate who had Covid is back, so our workload was not as great as it had been.

Friday night I was going to watch a movie with Spawn, but a friend of his came over for a sleepover, so I watched The Matrix Resurrection, and wished I hadn't. It is a movie that I watched. I can't say it was good, because it wasn't. But I managed to get some stitching done - my friend's birthday is next month, so I'm making something small for her.

Saturday morning I did some stitching and watched another terrible movie - The Misfits on Netflix. Not the old-school one with Marilyn Monroe but an egregious heist movie with Pierce Brosnan. I love a good heist movie. But this was not that.

I took the boys into town after lunch so Spawn's friend could meet up with his family, and Spawn and I then went to the library. I went to my friend's place as usual last night, and we discussed whether we'd make good traitors or faithfuls - we're still watching The Traitors UK.

Today she talked me into going to the movies to see A Haunting in Venice and frankly I wish she hadn't. I love Agatha Christie, and I'm ambivalent on Kenneth Branagh's Poirot, but this movie ... was certainly something that I watched. It's apparently based on the novel Hallowe'en Party, but it bears about as much resemblance to that book as I do to Kenneth Branagh.

And it was just ... tedious. Heavy on jumpscares and symbolism and honestly I think if I'd been alone I  might have just left. 

Anyway, here we are. I still need to make my bed and cook dinner, so thought I'd get this done first.

I finished High on Arrival by Mackenzie Phillips - she of 1980s One Day at a Time fame and also the daughter of John Phillips of The Mamas and the Papas. It is an interesting read, but a very disturbing one. 

I'm still reading Secluded Cabin Sleeps Six, and I started River God by Wilbur Smith. I actually read it years ago, but I have the series up to Desert God, so thought I'd start over. It's not a short book, so that one is going to be read in short bursts. 

How about you? How's your week? What are you reading?





25 comments:

  1. Secluded Cabin is one I thought looked good. sorry to hear the movie was a dud- I was curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it wasn't Hercule Poirot, and based on an Agatha Christie novel, it would have been a decent suspense movie, I think.

      Delete
  2. I'm not dying to go out and watch A Haunting in Venice. I'll see it at some point, but I can't see how it could really resemble Halloween Party, which I read earlier this year because of the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It bears almost no resemblance to the book at all, and I wish I'd waited until it was on one of the streaming services.

      Delete
  3. Oh no that is a bit of a disappointing movie week! I do want to watch A Haunting in Venice cause I read a relatively positive review about it, but I'm so attached to David Suchet's Poirot that everything else feels wrong! I hope your arm is feeling better and that the pain stays away. I hope you have a lovely week :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Suchet is basically peak Poirot for me. Kenneth Branagh is okay, but not what I expected.

      Delete
  4. Too bad about the sore arm. I anticipate that will happen to me when I get a flu shot, but I hope not. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your arm is healed and you are feeling better. I read Secluded Cabin Sleeps Six and really liked it. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you survive your shot with no soreness as well. Thank you :)

      Delete
  6. Glad the arm cleared up - I feel for you! I had a similar pain during the worst of my long covid, though that took months to clear up. It was excruciating if I lifted my arm or bent it a particular way. Luckily it has now gone and there doesn't seem to be any long term damage. I hope your arm stays sound:). And sorry about your miserable viewing week - it happens sometimes, doesn't it? I hope the coming week is a better one, Maree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Fingers crossed* it seems to be fine now. Thank you. :)

      Delete
  7. i have been wanting to read the wilbur smith series for a while now. but the amount of pages. I used to love big books and now i am intimidated by almost every big book that I see.

    my sunday post: https://blessedmommysc.blogspot.com/2023/09/hello-fall-sunday-post-53.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little bit the same, I have to talk myself into long books a lot of the time.

      Delete
  8. I don't know if I saw the same A Haunting in Venice as you but, there were not that many jump scares. I would say the mystery was easy to solve.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just didn't really work for me as a movie.

      Delete
  9. Ah, a bunch of disappointing movies in one week! That's too bad. I saw a couple good ones. Hope you get some more good movies to watch soon! Have a great week!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad your arm is doing better but man, you've had some bad luck with movies lately. I want to see the Haunting in Venice but will wait until I can stream it. I hope you end up liking Secluded Cabin Sleeps Six. I read it when it came out and didn't care for it much at all. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd waited until I could stream it as well.

      Delete
  11. You haven't had very good luck with movies lately. I can't recall the last one I've seen, and it doesn't sound like I'm missing much. I hope your arm is better now. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't go to the movies very often - it's so expensive and most movies end up on streaming anyway.

      Delete
  12. I watched All of Me last night with Steve Martin & Lily Tomlin,haven't laughed so hard in a long time!!
    https://ustmeandmyblogreviews.blogspot.com/2023/09/its-monday-what-are-you-reading.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't think I ever watched that one! I love Steve Martin and Lily Tomlin.

      Delete
  13. Love your mini movie reviews. lol Sorry they were mostly duds.

    ReplyDelete