Saturday 17 September 2016

Sunday Post 43; It's Monday, what are you reading? 29


The Sunday Post - hosted by Kimba here - http://caffeinatedbookreviewer.com/ is a chance for a chat and a catch-up with other bloggers. It's Monday! What are you reading? is now hosted by Kathryn over here: http://bookdate.blogspot.co.nz/

Let's see .... I had one job interview over Skype last week. It seemed to go okay but I'm reserving judgement. For one thing, it would mean moving to a different city, which would avalanche into all kinds of upheavals, but I'm keeping my options open. The red tape grinds on. I got one form back that I needed from my former employer - on which they had filled in my name in one part with "Jane." Which is my middle name. Not my real, legal name that I go by. So I need to get that sorted out before I can move on with applying for support because I can just imagine the red tape nightmare that would be.

It's so frustrating. And I'm trying not to be demoralised, but ... it's demoralising. I have to email the form back to former employer to get them to correct the name. I have to call Winz (Work and Income - the government agency) and ask for the contact details of whom to send the form to, because they don't provide that ON the document. Which will eat up half my morning, as, inevitably, I will be on hold for at least half an hour. I have to email the documents to former employer because they no longer have an on-site pay clerk. Everything is done out of Wellington, which means I can't just drop off the form at the office. Everything gets a little more complicated when Winz says "please take this form to your employer to fill out" and you just can't. I had it emailed to me, then employer  made the mistake.

Urgh. Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

ANYWAY. On to other things. I managed to do a couple of blog posts last week - reviews of The Waste Lands, Wishful Drinking, and A Thousand Pieces of You. I've also started putting things for sale up on Trade Me. I'll sell every single damn thing I own if I have to. I mean, I hope I won't have to, but I will, because ultimately it's just stuff.

Spawn's class won tickets to a basketball game through a radio station competition last week - they had to provide the loudest chant. So I took him to the game on Saturday, as the class all got free tickets. I have no interest in sport of any kind usually, but if I get to a live game, within five seconds I'm yelling along with everyone else. I have a competitive streak - lol.

I begged off my usual Saturday night stitch-and-watch with my friend because I was so tired from the game and spawn and just everything. I spent a pleasant evening watching Merlin repeats and playing Gordon Ramsey's Dash. :)

I started reading Leviathan's Wake by James S A Corey - the first book in The Expanse series. I want to get to it before diving in to the TV series. So far, I'm very pleasantly surprised. It's kind of a genre-blend of sci-fi and procedural cop drama.

What else. I have a mammogram on Tuesday (hooray). When you turn 45 here, apparently, you get a form that says congrats, here's your free mammogram. So that's. A thing that I'll be doing this week.

How about you? What's your week like? What are you reading?

6 comments:

  1. I watched a few episodes of The Expanse and thought it was pretty good. Haven't read the books though. And Merlin I've seen on Netflix but haven't watched it.

    An interview via Skype? Wow, such a brave new world we live in. I thought phone interviews were bad (hate those), but I guess Skype would be like a real interview without having to go there, so maybe it's a good thing??

    Anyway have a good week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A job interview on Skype? Wow.. I would be so nervous for that. I hope it works out for you. ;)
    Have a great week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping my fingers crossed on the job..maybe a move would be a good thing, ya never know! Yay for your son's class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed the basketball despite your antipathy. And yes, there's nothing like live sport.

    I know what you mean about seeking financial help being demoralising. I'd always had quite good jobs and lived in my nice apartment on the beach and drove a nice car, but when I couldn't find work in my current seaside locale I felt ridiculous pulling up at the local government agency for my appointments.

    And the (outsourced) job placement people were always ridiculous as I knew far more than they did about applying for jobs, selection criteria and so forth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greg: modern technology really is a wonder! I'm enjoying Leviathan's Wake so far, and I've heard good things about the TV series. Thank you :)

    Maureen: I was definitely nervous - lol. Thank you! :)

    Kimba: It would be nearer my husband's parents, so he definitely doesn't mind moving. We'll have to wait and see. :)

    Deborah: There's something about a live game that makes all the difference. Ugh, I spent another half an hour on hold this morning trying to sort out paperwork. So frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had a good interview even if you're reserving judgement. I just got through that process recently and it's totally not fun. But it's so rewarding when you finally get that job that you want. :)

    ReplyDelete