Saturday 18 February 2017

Sunday post 58; It's Monday! What are you reading? 43


The Sunday Post is a chance for a chat and catch-up with other bloggers to find out what's been going on in their world during the past week or so. It's hosted by Kimba, right here: http://caffeinatedbookreviewer.com/ It's Monday! What are you reading? Is now hosted by Kathryn, here: http://bookdate.blogspot.co.nz/

Let's see .... I'm now officially a full-time student - until June, anyway. The course runs for 32 weeks. After that - at this stage I don't know. At this stage I'll be happy to get through the course in one piece - lol. Week one was all right. All of my classes are quite small, and there's a range of ages and backgrounds among us, which is a good thing. I think the most I had in one class was something like nine people. I imagine we're all going to get to know each other pretty well by the end of it.

I haven't been doing a lot of reading this past week. I did read Enjoy the Dance by Heidi Cullinan, the sequel to Dance With Me. It was set during the time the Marriage Equality bill came into law. Its background is intense - there's that, and also one of the main character's parents are undocumented immigrants, and there's issues of childcare and homophobia and ... and despite all that, it's a really sweet, optimistic book about love.  I'll review that one this week,  hopefully.

I'm struggling with The Summer Queen - not because it isn't good, or interesting, but it's the wrong time for me to be reading it. I worked out that I like reading historical fiction when I'm on holiday. Not bodice-rippers, but things like this and Wolf Hall, and The First Man in Rome by Colleen McCullough. I started the latter on holiday with my parents one year, and the idea of it has stuck with me. I think because I like having time to dive into those big, complex novels. So The Summer Queen will go back to the library for now and I might give it a whirl in April, when I have a two-week semester break.

This does mean that I'm sort of between books. I'm flirting with Ten Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray - I really dug One Thousand Skies Above You and it's about my brain-speed right now, but I'll see.  I should also dive into a classic for the Back to the Classics challenge - handily I've downloaded several on to my ipad, as they tend to be cheap or free on iBooks. Other than that ... textbooks I guess - lol

What else. I think that's all? I'm considering doing a "Nevertheless, she resisted" cross-stitch - someone I follow on instagram designed one and put it on Craftsy as a freebie. That's a maybe though. I still want to try and get Circe finished this year, and 2017 is already racing away from me!

I've also reached my first modern era awesome lady - Sally Potter, who directed Orlando. I'm hoping to read the book and watch the film before I do the post, so that's possibly at least a couple of weeks away.

How about you? How's your week? What are you reading?

8 comments:

  1. Wow, some heavy-ish reading there Maree. I'm such a wuss when it comes to reading stuff that's a little in-depth!

    I'm glad your classes seem good and there's a mix of ages etc... I hope you really enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the class goes well! Small class sizes are nice and they definitely have a more intimate feel than larger ones. :) I've read a couple books by Claudia Gray now although not that series- I do like the look of them though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deborah: Some of it, yes! I'm not the oldest in the room, I thought I would be but one woman is 46 - I'm 45 - lol.

    Greg: Thanks! :) I haven't read any of her other series but I loved One Thousand Pieces of You, it was a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your course go's well. What is the course you are doing? I love the cover of Claudia Greys books but need to pick them up. Have a great week.

    Megan @reading away the days

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear your first week was good. Small classes are the best. I always felt much more at ease in small classes. The teachers are able to give you more personal attention, which isn’t always fun but is definitely good I think.
    Sounds like you’ve got some great books to read.
    Have a great week and Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have weeks like that...where I don't connect with anything. My problem this week was being pulled away from my books to other things.

    Enjoy the new week, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are tackling some heavy reads. Good luck with schooling. I hope the course goes well! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. School is great, everyone should keep learning and growing. Good luck with your reading and have a wonderful week. :)'

    ReplyDelete