Wednesday 9 August 2017

Review - Tongues of Serpents by Naomi Novik

Tongues of Serpents is the sixth book in the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik.

In book five, Laurence and Temeraire had struggled with being accused of treason, and in an effort to make the embarrassment go away, the British government send them to the new colony of Australia.

Neither Laurence nor Temeraire know what to expect from the new colony, but when one of the dragon eggs they are tasked with taking care of is stolen, they embark on a journey across the Outback.

I have to admit, as much as I love the series overall, this is not my favourite entry. I still enjoyed the relationship between Laurence and Temeraire, but the bulk of the book is a fairly tedious journey across the Outback of Australia. I spent chapter after chapter waiting for something to happen, and all the action seems to be crammed in the last two or three chapters.

Given that it's the sixth book in the series, it's maybe not surprising that the quality falters at times, but  you know ... dragons. Dragons are good.

2 comments:

  1. I don't really like dragon books. Not even into Game of Thrones to be honest! But my husband is a big fan of dragon lit, will have a look at this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely a great one for dragon fans :)

    ReplyDelete