Thursday 1 February 2018

Review - Into the Woods

I was trawling Netflix looking for a movie to watch today, and came across this one. I hadn't seen it so I clicked "play".

Into the Woods is a musical mash-up of pretty much every popular fairytale you can think of. It's based on the Stephen Sondheim musical of the same name.

Uhm. There's such a mishmash of stories, it's hard to know where to start. Meryl Streep plays a witch who promises a childless couple (James Corden and Emily Blunt) if they bring her a series of items she can give them a child.

Cinderella is in there... Red Riding Hood ... okay. Honestly? I got bored. I love musicals usually, but with this one, I started reading my book halfway through and just sort of looked up once in a while. I'm sure it's amazing on Broadway, but as a film it's just... ehn.

There's lots of singing (obviously) and not really a lot of story to hang those songs on, unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment