Saturday 5 May 2018

Sunday Post 99, It's Monday, What are you reading? 84


The Sunday Post - a chance for bloggers to have a chat and a catch-up - is hosted by Kimba, here: https://caffeinatedbookreviewer.com/ and It's Monday! What are you reading? Is hosted by Kathryn, here: https://bookdate.blogspot.co.nz/

Let's see ... my week was fairly ordinary, I think. Spawn started in his new after-school programme, and is enjoying it so far. Partly, I think, because this one is run out of another school, and so he can play outside in the playground, unlike the previous one he was in, which was essentially run by a kids' restaurant. It had play areas, but nowhere to go outside.

Other than that, the week ticked along as normal.

I took Spawn to the library yesterday for Free Comic Book Day, but unfortunately when we were there, the comics hadn't yet been delivered. So they're going to deliver them to the schools. We also went to Subway and had a bit of a browse around town.\

I also watched a terrible Netflix movie yesterday (again), and painted my nails today. So all in all, a good weekend. I'm not going to review the movie I watched - Bachelorette. It had Kirsten Dunst, Rebel Wilson and Isla Fisher in it, and managed to waste every single one of their talents. Quite a feat, really.

There was some discussion on twitter last week about the possibility of reviving the South Pacific Book Chat discussion - a weekly chat that Marg from http://www.theintrepidreader.com/ and I used to host, several years ago. It went the way of these things and fizzled out after a while. However, when I spotted a  mention of it between two other bloggers on twitter, I considered the possibility of reviving it again.

Here's the thinking:

The time zone for the chat - #spbkchat on twitter - is designed for NZ/Australian/other South Pacific book bloggers/tweeters - so I was thinking the start time could be 9.30pm NZ Time on a Friday night. I'm happy to "host" and get the chats up and running - but I can only do Friday nights, and 9.30pm my time is as late as I want to start.

If other bloggers/tweeters are keen, let me know here or on twitter at https://twitter.com/justaddbooks. If you have any ideas for weekly topics, drop those off as well.

The chat would be designed to go for a couple of hours, with the chosen theme as the focus of discussion. Beyond that it wouldn't be structured apart from the edict of course, of be excellent to each other.

I'm thinking of gearing it up from the 25th, which gives me time to get a list of potential topics together and gauge interest.

That.... went off track - lol.

As for what I'm reading - I started The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and the People's Temple by Jeff Guinn, and I'm also working my way through the last series of Dragon Age comics - Knight Errant.

Wizards and Glass appears to be on the backburner for now. I'm sure I'll pick it up again... eventually.

I'm waiting for I'll Be Gone in the Dark to come in at the library -  I can feel one of my rare true-crime reading sprees coming on, I think.

What about you? How's your week? What are you reading?

24 comments:

  1. Yes, I get in one of those rare True-Crime sprees too every one in a while. You might like Serial Podcast, google it. You won't regret it. theglobaldig.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I started listening to that a while back! I need to dive back in :)

      Delete
  2. Lol about Bachelorette- that bad huh? :) Netflix has its share of stinkers, for sure.

    The South Pacific chat sounds awesome, and I might be interested in participating. Clearly I'm not in that part of the world ha ha but I enjoy chatting with Aussie/ Kiwi/ whoever blogger friends. :) what kind of topics do you normally discuss?

    I totally missed FCBD unfortunately. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awful, ugh.

      To give you a general idea, here was the original list of topics, and we expanded on that as we went: http://spbkchat.blogspot.co.nz/2010/11/welcome_19.html

      Delete
  3. True Crime reads are fascinating. I love your book club idea. Although by Friday night I am zonked. Hope your week is amazingly wonderful and the little guy gets his comic book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! Heh, me too, usually, but it's also the only night I have free that I can stay up a bit later than usual, so I'd push through :)

      Delete
  4. I’m glad Spawn is enjoying the after-school program. I have The Road to Jonestown sitting on my TBR shelf. I’ve been putting it off because it’s so big. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, it's a relief! It's interesting, but big for sure. I'm glad I got the ebook from Overdrive. Much easier.

      Delete
  5. I think it’s a great idea to have a live chat ever so often. I’ve never really gotten into the swing of Twitter; Twitter seems too fast and disconnected for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twitter can be very much like that. Hopefully you'll drop in on the chat though - it can be a lot of fun.

      Delete
  6. I really want to read I'll Be Gone in the Dark too. I feel I have a long wait ahead of me!

    A chat for your time zone seems like such a cool idea.

    I watched that movie too - it was terrible! You are so right, it was a total waste of their talents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It came in early from the library for me, so I'm hoping to dive in this weekend sometime.

      I'm hoping!!! :)

      It was so, so bad.

      Delete
  7. I've been eyeing I'll Be Gone in the Dark...and the Jonestown book grabbed me. I remember when all of that was happening...it freaked me out! Almost as much as the Charlie Manson family killings.

    Enjoy your week, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little young but I remember hearing about Jonestown years ago and just feeling sick at the thought of it. I read Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi about the Manson murders - it's fascinating readinag.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a normal week. No big highs but no big lows either. That is a good thing. I've never done a Twitter chat and am too brain dead right now to figure out what time it would happen in my timezone. It does sound interesting though. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normal is good :) It's a lot of fun, and you'd definitely be welcome. I'm bad with time zones too, so I use this: https://www.timeanddate.com/ very useful. :)

      Delete
  9. Maree, I love "spawn" 🤣

    I'm from Australia and would love to participate in a book chat. Can we start earlier eg. 7.30-8pm if it'll go for a few hours?

    Will tweet you too.


    Paperback Princess

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think the local libraries or schools do Free Comics Day. There is one comic book store but it has zero parking. It's really designed for people who live close by to walk to it and we don't live close by. What am I reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no local comic book store here, sadly, so it's great that the library gets involved with the day.

      Delete
  11. Haha, I think I'll pass on that movie. Sorry it wasn't good. I've seen snippets of it and it's seems all too cliche'.

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cliche I could take, maybe. It was just downright awful.

      Delete
  12. Aww - glad Spawn is enjoying his new after school program! ^_^

    Sorry the movie wasn't good though - hopefully your next one is better. Sometimes Netflix has some... interesting picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's a great relief.

      Lol, it definitely does.

      Delete