Sunday 6 August 2023

Sunday Post 19; It's Monday, what are you reading? 19

 


The Sunday Post - a chance for bloggers to have a chat and a catch-up - is hosted by Kimberly here: https://caffeinatedbookreviewer.com/ and It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is hosted by Kathryn here: https://thebookdate.wordpress.com/


Let's see .... work was once again a thing that happened in order to pay bills. 
I've been driving my husband's car as mine still doesn't have an up to date warrant of fitness (we work opposite hours). I basically drive a hot wheels (a Nissan Tiida) and J drives a Suzuki Escudo (a tank). So that's been fun. 

We won at quiz on Wednesday night, and I was peer-pressured into going to a quiz on Thursday night as well. Normally back-to-back nights out - especially during the week -  are my nightmare, but I did it anyway. To add injury to insult, our team didn't place. 

Spawn and I watched Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping on Friday night, and it was absolutely hilarious.

Saturday I was meant to take Lily to the vet but she vanished until 5 minutes before the appointment, so I had to reschedule. 

Spawn and I went to the library yesterday, and I trawled the withdrawn book shelf as I always do. The books are $1 unless priced higher for various reasons. I picked up The Legend of Sigrud and Gurun by 
J R R Tolkien and a dictionary on the history of the fashion industry. I know the second one sounds a little bit out the gate, but it should come in handy for quiz research. 

Saturday night I went to my friend's as usual.

Today, I've been playing the closed beta for the game Palia: https://palia.com/ which is a cosy exploration/setting up home type game. It's had a couple of glitches, but so far I'm enjoying the overall vibe.

I've done some stitching today, and listened to a couple of episodes of one of my go-to podcasts - You Must Remember This, which is about the first 100 years of Hollywood history.

I'm still reading Carpe Jugulum, and I also started Tangerine by Christine Tangan, a novel set in Tangiers in the 1950s about two former college room-mates who reconnect after a year and some kind of Terrible Event. It's very atmospheric - almost claustrophobic, and gives me strong 1940s/50s noir vibes.

How about you? How's your week? What a re you reading?


10 comments:

  1. I hope your own car is drive-able again soon. How fun you won at quiz night on Wednesday, but too bad you didn't place on Thursday. That does sound tiring going at 2 nights in a row. Hopefully Lily doesn't vanish for her next vet appointment, that almost sounds like she knew she had to go to the vet.

    I am curious about Palia. I might check it out, but will probably wait till the open beta or later as I am still busy playing another game. My partner tried Palia and is enjoying it so far, he also said it was cosy.

    I hope you'll have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't played much this week but I've enjoyed what I have played. Thank you. :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a busy week. I've had that happen to me with vet trips. Suddenly my cat will disappear and I have to cancel the appointment. I hope your next appointment goes better. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of those noir vibes. It does sound like an atmospheric one. Congrats on the Wednesday win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a good week. Lucky that you and your husband can share a car. Nice finds on the withdrawn shelf too. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to drive my husband's car while mine was in for repairs, and it was an adjustment. Luckily I was able to work from home that week so it wasn't too much of an inconvenience. I am glad you and your husband are able to make do with the one car! It really can make a difference, can't it? I hope you are able to drive your car again soon.

    Congratulations on your Wednesday quiz win!

    I'm sorry you had to reschedule the vet appointment. My husband took our two cats to the vet's last month and it was quite an ordeal. You can still see one of the three scratches on my chest I got trying to get Gracie into her crate. And my husband is sporting two deep claw marks that broke skin in his hand from Nina when he was taking her out of the crate at the vet's. The vet and tech had to wear protective gloves when working with her. She was so frightened and hissing, growling, spitting, and swatting at anyone who came close. The vet gave us a prescription to help calm her down for next time.

    Enjoy your reading and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love our pets but they can definitely be frustrating! Thank you!

      Delete