Friday 30 October 2015

Crimson Peak - review

Oh, Guillermo del Toro. I do love you. I do. You gave the world Pan’s Labyrinth and also the phrase “drift compatible” which is such a great phrase.

But now, I believe, you have done the world the greatest service of all - Tom Hiddleston in period costume, being Awfully English about Everything.

Oh sorry - uhm. Crimson Peak is a kind of gothic horror/romance with Deep Dark Family Secrets (including incest and murder), a - literally - crumbling family estate and Mia Wasikowska as the appropriately blonde and wan heroine.

For me, the story was a bit muddled and rushed, though Mr Hiddleston and Jessica Chastain as brother and sister did their part, alternately languidly and ferociously chewing any scenery that got in their way.

It’s not my favourite del Toro film (see: Pacific Rim) and it’s a little bit forgettable, but the ticket price is worth it because - and it bears repeating - Tom Hiddleston in period costume.

I’d pay to watch that for two hours alone.

3 comments:

  1. Ahahaha, I mean, who even really cares about the story and the pacing? Jessica Chastain was so much magic in this movie, it was completely worth it for her alone. Plus SHOVEL MURDER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny: Right?? It was so pretty all around! SHOVEL. MURDER.

    ReplyDelete