Saturday 20 February 2016

Sunday post 21; It's Monday! What are you reading? #9

 Linking up with Kimba at http://caffeinatedbookreviewer.com/ for the Sunday Post - a chance to catch up and chat about the week that's been and the week that's coming - and with Kathryn at http://bookdate.blogspot.co.nz/ for It's Monday! What are you reading?

Let's see ... last week didn't stand out, I don't think, in any particular way. Spawn was home from school on Thursday and Friday with a cough and a sore throat. He's feeling much better now if the chatter level is anything to go by so back we go!


I've somehow found myself helping out in the classroom in the mornings, with reading and writing and it's okay? But honestly I'm not a natural with children and especially not like, packs of children. But somehow I agreed to it so I'm gritting my teeth and doing it. Spawn is happy to have me there, anyway, and it's. Something? Eh, it keeps me off the streets and out of the opium dens.

I'm trying to like, be an adult about stuff and not watch TV during the day, which is super-super easy to do. Like, it's RIGHT THERE. Sigh. So, in an effort to like, I dunno, stuff, I created a blog, for writing. There's nothing on it yet but it's here: http://auniverseofwords.blogspot.co.nz/ obviously I still need to fluff the pillows and turn back the covers, but the plan is to - eventually maybe - put short stories up there.

Eventually.

Maybe.

I read The Martian finally last week, and despite all of the SCIENCE!! I did quite enjoy it. Issue #3 of Dragon Age: Magekiller came out last week as well, so I read that and I'm really enjoying the way the story arc is going.

For now, and for the forseeable future to be honest because it's the biggest book in the WORLD, I'm reading Perdido Street Station. It's another China Mieville co-read with the lovely Jodie, one of the awesome http://ladybusiness.dreamwidth.org/ ladies. We've co-read - and co-reviewed Mieville together before, but not for a while, and finally decided it was time to tackle the monolith.

I did blog last week, amazingly - I did a review of the Captive Prince trilogy by C S Pacat: http://lifetheuniverseandcats.blogspot.co.nz/2016/02/captive-prince-trilogy-by-c-s-pacat.html and also did a post of my favourite non-match 3 app games: http://lifetheuniverseandcats.blogspot.co.nz/2016/02/my-fave-non-match-3-app-games.html

This week ... I have The Martian, Magekiller and Rosemary and Rue knocking about in my head; so I think I'll do a shorts post. We saw Deadpool when it opened here so I might knock up a review of that as well.

I still have the Things People Think I Shouldn't Like Because I'm a Lady in My 40s post idea knocking around in my head, it's possibly going to surface this week.

What I'd really like to start is my Awesome Ladies project. I was reminded of it by http://www.capriciousreader.com who's starting this Dead Ladies Project: http://www.capriciousreader.com/?tag=dead-ladies-project which is awesome and nudged my braincell.

I've had this list in google docs for something like two years of women from history up to the recent past/present in different disciplines. I have a vague notion of doing a bit of research, depending on what I can find, and maybe doing posts about them. It's a long list and each category has five ladies because .... because, that's why.

Anyway.

How was your week? What's coming up? What are you reading?

8 comments:

  1. Yeah so glad you enjoyed the Martian. I loved the audio. LOL, I have somehow volunteered myself for school stuff like that. One day you will miss it, so hang in there! Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Packs of children LOL. Yeah I'm not sure how I'd do in a chaotic environment full of kids either ha ha. Good on you for helping out though. :) A writing blog sounds fun, hope you get a chance to post some stuff there. It would be nice to read some stories from fellow bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. The pack of children will only keep you out of the opium dens for a little while, then they'll actually drive you there :p
    Have a fantastic week ahead and happy reading.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm completely failing being an adult because I have the TV on most of the time during the day! I like the noise and if I'm working within sight of it I have it going. The packs of children can be intimidating! I liked volunteering but it's not easy. I did find it useful because I got to know the kids which helped when mine were older. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed The Martian. It's such a good book, and has one of the best film adaptations. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your thinking process. Wish my thinker had a switch or some gears.

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2016/02/sunday-salon-catching-up_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a good week.

    A few ladies in my book club have read Rosemary and really liked it.

    ENJOY your reading week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kimba: The Martian was great fun! Heh, I know. it's not too bad (so far...)

    Greg: Some days I can barely cope with mine, and I only have one child! Thanks! Will make a post when/if there's content eventually :)

    Lexxie: That's what I'm afraid of - lol

    Katherine: I usually do that too but I find if it's on, I have to sit down and watch something. For some reason I can't just use it as ambient noise, sadly.

    Tiffany: The movie is definitely on my to-watch list!

    Deb: Heh, thank you :D

    Elizabeth: It certainly wasn't a bad week. I was pleasantly surprised by Rosemary and Rue, I have to say.

    ReplyDelete