Saturday 11 February 2017

Sunday post 57; It's Monday! What are you reading? 42


The Sunday Post  - a chance for a chat and catch-up with other bloggers - is hosted by Kimba, here: http://caffeinatedbookreviewer.com/ and It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Kathryn, here: http://bookdate.blogspot.co.nz/

Let's see ... I had orientation on Friday morning for my course, and I officially start tomorrow. I have Wednesday and Thursday afternoons and Fridays off, but I anticipate I'll be using that time to study. Not only has it been a very long time, the papers I'm doing are a million miles from anything I've studied before. Still. Out of the house. Doing something. That can only be positive, I think.

I can't think of anything else of note I did last week. Bought stationary I think - lol.

I blogged - I finally caught up on my book reviews with a short reviews post. I still have an aim of a movie a week, but I haven't been able to pin that down to any kind of regularity yet. Unless you count NZ's sci-fi channel The Zone's Cinema Z on a Friday night. Though those movies are really meant to be mocked rather than reviewed. It is something I want to do, so I'll figure it out.

What else. My reading has dipped a bit since I finished Return of the King but I did manage to finish Slim to None by Jenny Gardiner. Which I liked, but didn't love. Now I'm flirting with The Summer  Queen by Elizabeth Chadwick, the first of a trilogy about Eleanor of Aquitaine. I'm only about 30  pages in, but so far so good.

I'm also still chipping away at my awesome ladies project with Lady Xu Mu - the first recorded female verse writer in Chinese history. It was supposed to be Hypatia, but put her in the wrong category - she was a mathematician, so I might do a post on her down the track a bit.

So this week will be all about the backpack life for me - classes and note-taking and juggling life and studying. I'll let you know next week how my first week went!

Anyway. How's your week? What are you reading?

8 comments:

  1. Good luck w/ your class! That SF channel sounds kinda fun...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg: Thanks! It is. It has stacks of sci-fi and fantasy shows as well but every Friday night is Cinema Z - those of us who watch gather on twitter and mock with the hashtag #cinemaz It's a very Kiwi thing to not take things seriously and it's a great way to end the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great time in your first week :) Also, I want to hear more about the Chadwick series as can't decide whether it's my kind of thing or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh exciting Maree, I hope you enjoy the course and it sounds like it will be a great challenge and something different! (Laughed at the backpack comment as it seems really foreign to me as well! But I'm old!)

    You've reminded me I need to catch up on a couple of reviews today as well while I've got the day off and before the work week kicks off for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your ladies project sounds fascinating. Good Luck with your class!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your class this week - I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kudos to you on juggling school and a family. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your first week! I hope it's going great! ;)
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete