Friday 26 January 2018

Review - Snowpiercer

It's the year 2031, and the last of humanity reside on a massive train that spans the globe as the world is locked into another ice age.

Curtis (Chris Evans) is the leader of the lowest of the low on the train - the most desperate and poorest. They live in horrific and desperate conditions, living on protein bars and bargaining.

The train's Minister Mason (Tilda Swinton) puts in an appearance once in a while to keep order.

When two of the youngest children are taken, Curtis decides it's finally time to take action and to get to the front of the train to talk to Wilford - the former transport magnate who created the train.

Curtis and his rebellion leave a trail of destruction behind them as they go. They free security expert Namgoong and his daughter Yona so they can disable the locks on the cars that lead to the front of the train - and to Wilford.

I've had Snowpiercer on my radar for a while, and I know people who've really enjoyed it. I found it....... weird. Like, really, really weird. Chris Evans was good, and Tilda Swinton is always great, and of course John Hurt and Ed Harris were really good too.

But. I don't know. I feel like some of the story was maybe sacrificed for shock value or that something, for me, was missing. I'm not sure what.

Worth watching, but a bit on the squeamish side.

No comments:

Post a Comment