Monday 20 November 2023

Review - Legends & Lattes

 

Gosh, I loved this. I loved this so much I almost started it again as soon as I had finished it, but it was due back at the library.

It's a cosy fantasy about a former mercenary Orc called Viv who hangs up her sword and opens a coffee shop.

That's it. That's the whole book. And it sounds like an incredibly slight premise, but you're with Viv the whole way - from buying the premise  to finding people to work on it/in  it - people who become Viv's second found family and it's just. 

It's a delight, honestly.

I know that what I usually expect from fantasy novels is high stakes - you know - world-ending, questy-type stuff and I do love that as well.

But. BUT. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a book that just goes "let's build a coffee house together" and it feels like a hot cup of tea on a cold day. 

It's comforting. And yes, the stakes are - in general - low, but I like that. I like that a lot. 

4 comments:

  1. I love this trend toward cozier fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too. I need to find some more cosy fantasy novels to read.

      Delete
  2. I thoroughly agree, Maree. It's a lovely book:)).

    ReplyDelete