Thursday 11 April 2024

Two reviews

There's a war brewing, between Ankh-Morpork and Klatch, over a patch of land that has risen out of the ocean. 

Sam Vimes just wants to do his job, and go home at the end of his shift.

But - somehow - he gets dragged into the war.

Mr Sir Terry Pratchett had a wonderful knack of highlighting the absolute absurdity of aspects of the human condition. In this case, he turned his laser gaze on the absurdity and tragedy of war.

Jingo is hilarious, while also making some very, very savage points.

The trouble with reading a new-new book, that's the first book in a series, and is very, very good, and was published in January ... there's no book 2 out yet.

The Principle of Moments is a sci-fi/fantasy/historical hybrid of a novel. There's time travel, which I'm not usually a fan of, but it also has one of my absolute favourite tropes, which is found family.

A boy in 1812 in love with a prince, time travels to try and find a cure for the displacement he suffers each time he travels. A girl enslaved on a planet in the distant future finds out she has a destiny she knew nothing about. And an alien discovers the same thing about himself.

This was SO good, and such a satisfying read - I shook the book when I'd finished it to see if the second one would magically fall out.

It did not.


 

1 comment:

  1. I am excited to see Terry Pratchett on your list today. Ever since I started reading him I have been a fan. My favourites in the Discworld collection are the Tiffany Aching books, but I have enjoyed almost all of them.

    ReplyDelete