Tuesday 1 November 2016

Review - Trade Me

I'm not a great reader of romance novels (as a non sci-fi reading friend of mine says, "it's not my genre") and I have very specific criteria before I venture in:

- No bodice-ripping
- No arrogant pricks with arrogant pricks
- No foot-stamping in vexation
- No emotional constipation

Someone recced The Duchess War by Courtney Milan to me, and I went in, somewhat dubious, because historical romance. But BUT The Duchess War was great, and I reviewed it here: http://lifetheuniverseandcats.blogspot.co.nz/search/label/the%20duchess%20war

This is a very rambly way of saying  that I didn't hesitate to jump in to Trade Me because I knew I was in good hands, romance-wise, and I was right.

Tina Chen is a college student, struggling to get by between work, study and her overbearing and energetic mother.

Blake Reynolds is also a college student, but he's also the heir to the billion-dollar Cyclone Technology company. When he makes an offhand comment about poverty in a seminar he and Tina are both in, Tina loses her hard-won cool and tells him he wouldn't last a week in her world.

And so the trade is on ...

Ahhh this was so good. I sat down on Saturday morning with the ebook, and just spent the whole day reading till I was finished it.

Tina and Blake are both great characters and they actually TALK about their issues and the obstacles in the way of them actually getting together.

It's a very satisfying story, with a satisfying and realistic-feeling romance. Good stuff.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this book too. I loved that Milan's characters talk frankly in it about money and how that affects their lives and relationships. I see that so rarely in any fiction, and it's wonderfully refreshing.

    ReplyDelete