Saturday 12 August 2023

The Sunday Post 20; It's Monday! What are you reading? 20

 
The Sunday Post - a chance for bloggers to have a chat and catch-up - is hosted by Kimberly here: https://caffeinatedbookreviewer.com/ and It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Kathryn here: https://thebookdate.wordpress.com/

Let's see. My week was largely uneventful. We came second at quiz on Wednesday night, and I had taken Thursday off as Spawn was supposed to go to the dentist to have a crown fitted. However, the dental surgery cancelled due to staff illness. Which would be fine, but all the text they sent me said was that they'd contact me to reschedule. Which means I'll need to arrange more time off.

On the bright side, it was nice to have the day off and not have to go anywhere in particular. So I let Spawn stay home, since I wasn't going to send him to school anyway, and we went to the library.

On Saturday morning, I was all set to take Lily to the vet finally. So I duly put her in the back seat of J's car, got in, and I was trying to adjust the seat as I'm a lot shorter than J. And then did the dumbest thing I have ever done. I accidentally put my foot down on the accelerator and drove right through the door of the garage. (We don't keep the cars in there as there's not enough room, and it was closed).

J was in there, as he keeps a computer in there. Luckily, no one was hurt, and the car seems to be okay apart from a few scrapes and scratches. Not my finest moment in my 52 years.

I still managed to take Lily to the vet (in my own car this time), and the good news there is her thyroid has finally stabilised, and she doesn't need to go back until November.

I spent the rest of yesterday afternoon reading, and then went to my friend's as usual.

Today has been quiet, though I did go to the library again to take some books back.
I've also done some stitching and watched Red, White and Royal Blue, which was super cute. 

I've finished Carpe Jugulum, by Mr Sir Terry Pratchett, and also Tangerine by Christine Mangan.

I started The Foxglove King by Hannah Whitten, but got 50 pages in before I realised I was looking down the barrel of a love triangle. I hate love triangles. So that got returned to the library today.

I have The Land of Stories by Chris Colfer lined up (which has been on my bookshelf for many years) and I'm thinking of starting The Writing Retreat by Julia Bartz.

That's a lot of sentences starting with "I". 
Anyway. I had also started Open Grave by A. M. Peacock but in the first two pages the main character talks about two work colleagues who don't like him/don't like working with him. I call that "Oi, Guv" - a character who Bucks the System or doesn't Get Along with Others but Gets Results. I hate it. People can get along and still catch serial killers. 

How about you? How's your week? What are you reading? 

16 comments:

  1. Land of Stories sounds fun and so does Bartz's book. Sorry to hear about the garage door! Things happen, and I'm glad it wasn't too bad. I did something similar once, almost ripped our side mirror off leaving the garage and not realizing I hit the gas in reverse!

    Hope you're having a good weeked :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Land of Stories is very fun. Ugh, I still feel stupid. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Glad no one was hurt in the accident. That's scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a super chill week with some family time. (Kids are still off school over here in England.)

    Glad no one was hurt in the garage door incident! Hopefully you manage to get your door repaired/replaced without issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad no one was hurt in the accident. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel you on having to reschedule the dental surgery. Things like illness cannot be helped, but it can be challenging when we have to arrange time off of work to go. For me, it involves finding someone else who can cover my shift, which isn't always easy to do.

    I am glad no one was hurt! I am sorry that happened to you. I think it could happen to any of us, really. We don't like to think it can, but it really can. I am glad though that Lily's thyroid has stabilized!

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rescheduling is definitely frustrating. Thank you :)

      Delete
  6. Ugh, sorry about the car and appointment. I hope this week is better.

    Jill
    http://www.allthebooksihaventread.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, such a frustrating accident, I hope the damage can be repaired easily.

    Wishing you a better week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily the worst damage was to the garage door, and not the car!

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear about your car mishap. Your books sound good. I agree with your reasons to stop reading books too. Love triangles aren't my favorite either. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete