Saturday 26 August 2023

The Sunday Post 22; It's Monday What are you reading? 22

 


The Sunday Post - a chance for bloggers to have a chat and a catch-up - is hosted by Kimberly, here: https://caffeinatedbookreviewer.com/ and It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Kathryn, here: https://thebookdate.wordpress.com/

Let's see ... I'm trying to think! Work was much the same as always, but that's not a bad thing. 

We came second again at quiz on Wednesday - only one point off the leaders. But it was a fun night.

Spawn had one of his wee friends over for a sleepover on Friday night. (Spawn and his friends are all teenagers, and most are taller than me. It amuses me greatly to call them his wee friends).

I've started to list some cross-stich charts on Facebook that I know I'll never get around to doing, and posted one of those yesterday. Spawn came with me, and we trawled a couple of secondhand stores - I'm on a quest for new kitchen chairs. So far nothing, but I persist.

I've been working on a gift for a workmate who's birthday was this month. It's a bit late, but I'm sure she'll like it anyway. And I went to my friend's last night as usual. We've been watching Hunted Australia, and also The Traitors NZ. The UK one is starting here in a few weeks, which I haven't seen at all, but we're greatly enjoying the NZ version. 

I finished The Land of Stories, and also The Writing Retreat.

So now my bedtime reading is Aunts Aren't Gentlemen by P G Wodehouse. And I'm trying this thing where I alternate a library book with one from my own shelves, to actually READ some of the books I own. Since The Writing Retreat was a library book, I've decided to pick up Some Kind of Fairytale by Graham Joyce - in my opinion a criminally under-rated writer.

How about you? How's your week? What are you reading?

21 comments:

  1. Oh I miss trawling secondhand stores! Maybe when I'm in Munich next week I'll find some, as they're kinda thin on the ground where I live. Good luck on finding chairs, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! I hope you have a lovely week :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't impressed with the Writing Retreat as it veered into the magical, which I was not expecting. Did you like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just rolled with it. It was a fun read, and I was entertained.

      Delete
  3. Going to second hand store is one of my favorite things to do, I can spend hours in them. I hope you find your kitchen chairs. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Secondhand stores can be so much fun. Of course I especially love the ones with books :) Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for quiz night. I didn't play in the pub I revisited because we were only there for dinner and had to drive home, but I still did pretty good informally. :)

    Those shows sound fun. I always wonder how they vary from American TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, for example, on Hunted UK and Hunted Australia, they have all the mod cons and technology available. A similar show - Tracked - was filmed here with teams being tracked through the NZ wilderness. The team (apart from the trackers on the ground) hunting them? Two people in a tent with a walkie-talkie. Still entertaining though.

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear you did well with quiz night. Sounds fun. I read The Writing Retreat and didn't love it as much as I hoped. Have a great week, Maree!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You sure had a busy week!

    Here’s my Sunday Post

    Rabbit Ears Book Blog: WORLD’S WEIRDEST BOOK BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m not exactly short at 5”7 but I feel like both my sons tower over me at 6ft +

    Wishing you a happy reading week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm 5'1 so he definitely towers over me. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on coming so close to winning the quiz! And I know what you mean about teens - my 13 y o grandson is now taller than me and won't stop crowing about it:)). Best of luck in your hunt for chairs - I love that you're looking for second-hand furniture, rather than buying new. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you locate some chairs soon. Looking for stuff like that can be so fun but also be so time consuming. I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a good week. I like your plan to read one library book and one from your own shelf. Right now, I'm trying to read review copies but am looking longingly at my own shelves. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete