Saturday 8 July 2023

Sunday Post 16; It's Monday! What are you reading? 16

 
The Sunday Post - a chance for bloggers to have a chat and a catch-up - is hosted by Kimberly, here: https://caffeinatedbookreviewer.com/ and It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Kathryn, here: https://thebookdate.wordpress.com/

I had last week off, so did a fair amount of reading and stitching. I also binged season 8 of CSI: NY. I've been bingeing my favourite procedurals for a while. I started with the original CSI and Criminal Minds, and now I just have one season of CSI: NY left. Whether I then move on to CSI: Miami or just re-watch Criminal Minds, who can say.

Anyway. It's school holidays currently - Spawn had last week off, and also has this week. I took last week off but I'm heading back to the salt mines tomorrow. He'd fallen behind on one of his classes, and the teacher was at the school last week to help students catch up. It wasn't a popular decision, but I made him go anyway, and he actually found it helpful. 

We didn't place at quiz on Wednesday for the first time in a really long time, which I always take hard because I'm extremely competitive. Ah, well. There's always next time.

Friday I took spawn to the dentist for the second of his 3 root canal procedures. It went well, but his face has swollen a bit over the past couple of days, so I'm going to call them tomorrow. He's not in a lot of pain, which can be managed with painkillers, but I suspect he might need some antibiotics.

I've also managed to do a couple of things on my 52 list (which still doesn't have 52 things on it). One of the things I wanted to do was learn beading, and I found a tutorial in one of my cross-stitch magazines. That turned out to be pretty easy, so I'm happy about that.

I tried a new-to-me recipe which failed badly. I had some cabbage to use up, so decided to try sauteeing it, which I've never actually done before. Sadly, it tasted like the overboiled cabbage I grew up with.


I also made a seed cake - I got Recipes from the World of Tolkien by Robert Tuesley Anderson for my birthday, and has a seed cake recipe in it, inspired by The Hobbit. I haven't tried it yet, but it smells pretty good.

I'm still reading Return of the King, but should finish it this week.
I also read Survive The Night by Riley Sager, and The Sandman: Volume 2 by Neil Gaiman. I enjoyed one of these much more than the other. 
I also started The Seven Ancient Wonders by Matthew Reilly which is very ACTION! CONSPIRACY! ACTION! and reads a little bit like a 15 year old boy's wish fulfilment, but I am entertained. I do like to be entertained. 

How about you? How's your week? What are you reading?




12 comments:

  1. I hope the cake ended up tasting better than the cabbage! :) I had to laugh at your description of the Reilly book. At least it's entertaining. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake was definitely better than the cabbage!

      Delete
  2. Yikes root canals are no fun. I bet that seed cake will be good. A Tolkien recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only CSI series I ever watched was NY and loved it. I'm binging on Jack Ryan now, but maybe I'll binge on one of the other CSI shows after. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about to start season 9. Jack Ryan is on my to-watch list.

      Delete
  4. Three root canals sounds like torture! I am glad the second one went well and hopefully the third one will too. I need to schedule an appointment for my daughter with the orthodontist for braces.

    I haven't seen much of CSI, but perhaps I should consider adding the shows to my watch list. I've been binge watching Jack Ryan and enjoying it.

    How did the seed back turn out? I hope it was good!

    I hope you continue to enjoy your reading, Maree. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The root canal is definitely not fun! The seed cake came out very tasty. :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hit post too fast and my comment didn't make sense. Trying again. With baseball on a break this week, I hope to get a lot of reading done too. I've never watched any of the CSIs but I watch very little television so that isn't surprising. I hope the root canals go well for Spawn. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love cabbage, and your cake looks delicious. Have a great week 🌞📚💜

    ReplyDelete