Saturday 2 September 2023

The Sunday Post 23; It's Monday! What are you reading? 23

 


The Sunday Post - a chance for bloggers to catch up - is hosted by Kimberly here: https://caffeinatedbookreviewer.com/ and It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Kathryn, here: https://thebookdate.wordpress.com/

Let's see .... 

My working week was okay - busy as one of my team is on holiday, cruising around the South Pacific. But I'd rather be busy. The unfortunate side effect of that is my braincells get tired and I make mistakes. But I try to be philosophical about them so I don't carry them around with me rent-free.

We won at quiz on Wednesday night on a tiebreaker, which was tense, but fun as always.


On Friday night, Spawn and I had pizza pockets and watched Sing 2. It was fun, and we both wanted something we didn't have to focus on too much. I also finished the project on the left - a small gift for a workmate - it just needs to be ironed, framed and handed on now.

Spawn, myself and a friend of mine went to the library yesterday. Spawn is currently very big on Ancient Egypt, thanks to playing Assassins Creed Origins, so he got out a couple of non-fiction books on that. He's not a great reader, but I'm always happy to encourage any reading he does want to do.

We also went to a garage sale in support of a local animal rescue. I found a small purse for $4 and an iron (I've been needing one for a while) for $10.00 so I thought that was all right.

J finally found some kitchen chairs at one of the secondhand stores. They're sturdy wooden ones - not flash, but much better than the fabric ones we did have that had been torn to shreds by the cats. 

I went to my friend's last night as usual where we stitched and watched TV. 

Today I've made chocolate chip muffins, and they are good if a little ... crunch. Nothing a few seconds in the microwave can't fix, I'm sure.

I finished Aunts Aren't Gentlemen by P G Wodehouse, which I was reading before bed. Every so often I like to dip into Star Trek novels - they're usually entertaining and readable, and not too mentally demanding. So I have Captain to Captain by Greg Cox lined up next.


I'm also reading Some Kind of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce. I haven't read any of Graham Joyce's novels for many years, but he is one of my favourite authors. I have had this book on my shelves for a very long time, and discovered an absolute treasure when I opened it.

I must have specifically ordered this copy, but I don't remember it, so got a very pleasant surprise. It's even more of a treasure to me as Graham Joyce died in 2014.

So far I'm greatly enjoying the book, and it's making me want to go back and read or re-read his other novels. 

How about you? How's your week? What are you reading?

22 comments:

  1. I been starting planting for my fall garden. Planted carrots and they are already popping up.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing like carrots from the garden. Thank you. :)

      Delete
  2. The cross stitch is a lovely gift for your friend!
    I’m glad you are enjoying your current read

    Wishing you a wonderful reading week

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your cross stitch gift - and I'm sure your friend will love it:)). It's always a joy to rediscover a much-loved author - and realise that you still love his writing. Have a great week:)).

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you did really well at the garage sale and secondhand store. I always enjoy shopping at them and finding stuff. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are having some nice activities and reading. I love looking at thrift shops and estate sales but we just don't need more stuff. It's fun to go though. I'm hoping to get through this week's heat and then it will cool down enough to plant the fall garden.

    Anne - Books of My Heart


    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on quiz! I wish I was cruising the south Pacific ha ha!

    Hope you're having a nice weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cruisng around the South Pacific sounds like a great way to spend a holiday! What a story they will have to tell! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a wonderful and fun week. My husband loves the Assassin's Creed games.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good week. It's been years since I've read a Star Trek novel. I remember the days when I was reading a few a week while waiting to start work. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that you discovered a surprise when you opened your book!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  11. I prefer busy at work often times because it makes the work day go faster. Although I have to qualify that as a steady busy and not an overwhelming busy. LOL I hope your week is going well. Congratulations on your quiz night win!

    I am glad you are enjoying your reading! I dived back into my daughter's favorite series and am still enjoying it. My husband is having a medical procedure done this afternoon, and I hope to get in some quality reading time on The Nickel Boys.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete