Saturday 9 September 2023

The Sunday Post 24; It's Monday! What are you reading? 24

 


The Sunday Post - a chance for bloggers to have a catch-up - is hosted by Kimberly here: https://caffeinatedbookreviewer.com/ and It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Kathryn here: https://thebookdate.wordpress.com/

The week that was.

Work was certainly a place I went to every day to remain a law-abiding tax-paying citizen.

Our library has a book sale every year to offload withdrawn books. The sale ran Monday to Friday, and as I finish at 5pm on Tuesdays, a friend of mine and I went after work. Spoiler alert: I bought some books. 

We won at quiz on Wednesday night, by a margin of 1 point, and it was a fun evening.

On Friday night after work I went to a workmate's place as a group of us celebrated the end of The Rock 2000 countdown: https://www.therock.net.nz/home/music/the-rock-2000.html

It's a yearly countdown of the top 2000 rock songs voted by listeners. Every year a few of us have a friendly competition trying to guess what will be in the top 10. I lost early on, thanks to Ozzy Osborne playing at number 500. Anyway. This year we decided to listen to the end of it all in the same place and have snacks. We played board games and also bonded with the host's cat. 

It was a fun evening.

On Saturday Spawn and I went to the library as he had a game to return. The library sale was technically over, but you could fill a box for $5 from the books that remained. Spoiler alert: I bought more books.

I went to my friend's as usual on Saturday night, and we started on The Traitors UK, which is a lot of fun.

Today I've done some stitching and podcast listening - two activities which go very well together. I've been listening to You Must Remember This: https://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.com/ which is about Hollywood's first century. 


I also made progress on my reading corner. I repurposed a shelf that's been sitting in our hallway for weeks, and stacked it with the books I got at the library sale, and a few other strays. Also, snacks. Now I just need a comfy chair.

I didn't end up starting the Star Trek novel. I had The Left-Hand Booksellers of London as a digital lend from the library, and it was almost due, so I ended up reading that instead, and absolutely loved it.

I'm still reading Some Kind of Fairy Tale, which I'm still enjoying, and I started A Marvellous Light by Freya Marske - an M/M fantasy suspense novel. So far it's proving to be very light and magical.

How about you? How's your week? What are you reading?

13 comments:

  1. Nice shelf. I need to get some like that, ones that I can fit in spots without having a huge shelf taking up oodles of space. Congrats on quiz too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The shelf was repurposed from somewhere else but it's very handy. :)

      Delete
  2. Nice that you got some new books at your library sale and won that quiz! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your reading corner and the shelves. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love library sales!!!

    The End of The Rock Countdown evening sounds like so much fun!!! So does The Traitors of the UK, whatever that is. lol

    I love your little reading nook shelves and it never occurred to me to keep SNACKS in my reading nook and it if did occur to me, I would be worried about ANTS, but you have solved that problem with the clear storage container with a lid! Ants probably can't get in, but if they did, I would see them before I opened it. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, thought I should restrain myself - lol. The Traitors is a reality show - basically a group of people are dropped in the middle of nowhere. The host chooses 3 to be traitors, and the rest are the faithful. The aim of the game is to identify the traitors and eliminate them. I love it. Luckily, our climate is a bit too cold for ants, so I'm lucky there. :)

      Delete
  5. I love redoing old items. It looks really good. Have a wonderful week, Maree ☕📚🍁🌞💛

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good week. I liked The Left-Handed Booksellers of London too. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to stay far away from library sales. I always go overboard and buy way too many books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should as well but sometimes I can't help myself.

      Delete