Saturday 14 October 2023

The Sunday Post 29; It's Monday! What are you reading? 29


 

The Sunday Post - a chance for bloggers to have a catch-up - is hosted by Kimberly, here: https://caffeinatedbookreviewer.com/ and It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Kathryn, here: https://thebookdate.wordpress.com/

Let's see. Last week ...

Work was a thing that definitely happened, against my most ardent wishes. 

We came second at quiz, which is definitely better than fourth.

Our election was last night, so I voted yesterday morning (I don't want to talk about the results, ugh) and afterwards myself, Son of Mine (Doctor Who reference there) and a friend went to the library. We then repaired to a pub for some democracy fries as a reward for exercising our civil rights. 

I drove about for a bit after dropping the passengers off at their respective abodes (mine, in the case of Son of Mine, obviously) as I'm trying to find a secondhand copy of Misery. Work has decided we all need to dress up for Hallowe'en and I'm going to go as Annie Wilkes. Mostly because I can source that from my own wardrobe. But I want a copy of the book. I do have one but it's in an omnibus with two other Stephen King novels.

I went to my friend's as usual, and we're run out of reality TV for now, so we're starting on the backlog of dramas (mostly British) that she's recorded. We watched The Ex-Wife, which was pretty good. 

Today we went to a craft show and I managed to not buy anything, so I'm proud of myself for that. 

Every so often with what I'm reading my brain decides that - for whatever reason - it's not working for me. So it proved to be the case with both The Persians and The City of Last Chances. So I returned them to the library. Nothing against the books themselves, they just weren't right for me at the time. I did finish Hallowe'en Party, though. 

I'm still reading River God, and something that I do when books aren't working is I'll either read an old favourite, or I'll read Star Trek novels. I got Picard by Una McCormack out of the library, which is a prequel to the series. So far it's pretty good.

A while back I happened upon a book on the library's withdrawn shelf by Clive James called Latest Readings. When he was diagnosed with terminal cancer, he shifted his massive library to Cambridge, and determined to spend what time he had left reading. Latest Readings came out of that. I need to finish it so I can pass it on to my friend, who is a very big Clive James fan. 

I also somehow started A Long Petal of the Sea by Isabel Allende.

Anyway. How about you? How's your week? What are  you reading?

16 comments:

  1. Congrats on quiz. Star Trek novels sound like comfort reading. I haven't read one in ages but now you have me wanting to go dig out some old paperbacks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice results on the quiz.

    I had to laugh at this line. "Work was a thing that definitely happened, against my most ardent wishes." That describes me most weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It starts for me at 9am on Monday mornings.

      Delete
  3. You've had an eventful week--so good that you were able to counteract the disappointing election results with enjoyable activities. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read a Star Trek novel in years, but I do enjoy them. I have a few on my e-reader that I haven't read yet. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on coming in second. The Annie Wilkes costume sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is Annie's waredrobe the same in the book as the movie? It is a good costume idea! I just finished reading Holly by Stephen King which I did enjoy. Hope you have a good week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be an interpretation, because I don't want to spend any money on it - lol

      Delete
  7. I had a nice quiet week but have currently come up against two of my review books which are each written in a style I find difficult. I'm switching back and forth between them. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about your election. I re-read old favorites when I can't get anything new to catch my attention too.

    Jill
    http://www.allthebooksihaventread.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annie Wilkes will make a great Halloween costume! I am with you on the work thing. What a great way to put it too! Haha! I did hear about your election and I'm sorry.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete