Saturday 21 October 2023

The Sunday Post 30; It's Monday! What are you reading? 30

 


The Sunday Post - a chance for bloggers to have a catch-up - is hosted by Kimberly, here: https://caffeinatedbookreviewer.com/ and It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Kathryn, here: https://thebookdate.wordpress.com/

I really need to stop being lazy and start doing more posts. 
Um. Anyway.

My week was all right. Work again happened despite my feelings about it.

We came fourth at quiz on Wednesday - we were well out of the running but it was a fun night.

On Friday night I parked up and watched some TV and did some stitching. Son of Mine was at a friend's for a sleepover/birthday party, so it was a quiet evening.

On Saturday I set out on a couple of side quests - I had to get Lily's thyroid medication, and I went to the library. I also visited what felt like every single secondhand store trying to find a copy of Misery that I can take to work on Friday. Had I managed that, I was going to get people to sign it and tell them I was their Number One Fan. I did find it at the library, so shall just have to settle for creeping people out without asking for their autographs. The costume doesn't really adhere very strictly to what Annie Wilkes wears in the movie. And, also, it's not the middle of winter here. So I'm just mining my own wardrobe and going as Dowdy but Insane Middle-Aged Annie Wilkes. Should work.

I went to my friend's as usual last night. We've run out of reality TV for the moment, so we started watching Vigil, a British murder drama set on a submarine. Pretty good so far.

I also got some stitching done this afternoon while I watched a couple of movies - Escape Room on Netflix (which I wish I hadn't), and The Talented Mr Ripley, which I remember watching years ago. It's still pretty good. I also watched Dungeons & Dragons: Honour Among Thieves last Sunday. I don't play D&D but it was a fun watch.

I finished Picard, the prequel novel to the series, and thought it was all right. I also finished Latest Readings by Clive James, so I could pass it on to my friend as it's her birthday today, and she loves Clive James. I decided to retire River God in the meantime, as I keep looking for reasons not to pick it up.

So for now I'm reading A Long Petal of the Sea, by Isabel Allende, which is set during the Spanish Civil War. It's very good, but it's very ... you know those books? Where it's a really really good read, but  you can't say you're enjoying it exactly, because of the subject matter? That's what this is.

I also started Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo. I haven't read any of her other books, but a workmate raved about this one, so figured I'd give it a go.

How about you? How's your week? What are you reading?

17 comments:

  1. I really liked Vigil. I've heard the D&D movie is good, too.

    Would love to hear how the costume thing went!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have one episode to go of Vigil but it is very good.

      Delete
  2. I've heard such good things about the D&D movie. I really need to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes have that with books as well, that I just make up reasons why I couldn't possibly continue it right now but I never actually make the definitive decision to shelve them xD Should do that from now on! I very much enjoyed 'Ninth House' and am planning to read it again before I dive into the sequel! And I also had the same reaction to Allende's 'A Long Petal of the Sea' so I haven't gotten back to it yet... oops. I hope you have a lovely week :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both books are still on the go. Thank you. :)

      Delete
  4. I have been reading a lot of good reviews about the Leigh Bardugo book as well. I hope you'll enjoy it. ;)
    Have a great week and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun party you'll be going to. Hope you enjoy it. I need to check out Picard. Hope you have a great week.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2023/10/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_22.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed the Picard TV series. I should check out the books. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly what you mean regarding the Allende book! I hope you go on admiring the talent and being engrossed in the story - see how I avoided the word 'enjoy'? Have a great week - I look forward to hearing how the Annie Wilkes costume goes down:)).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahaha I love your brilliant Halloween costume idea! Too bad you weren't able to find a copy of Misery!!!!

    I love that you go to a friends, regularly, to watch reality TV or whatever. How did this come about and is there any food / snacks / beverages involved?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It started many years ago with either the BBC Pride & Prejudice, or Sherlock. My friend at the time was the caregiver for her mother who had dementia, so I'd go around to her place and we'd have ice creams and watch shows. Now we have dinner, potato chips and watch TV. It's a well-established ritual at this point.

      Delete
  9. I liked Ninth House, I hope you enjoy it, and if you do, you can go right on to the second book, Hell Bent

    ReplyDelete