Saturday 7 October 2023

The Sunday Post 28; It's Monday! What are you reading? 28

 


The Sunday Post - a chance for bloggers to have a catch-up, is hosted by Kimberly here: https://caffeinatedbookreviewer.com/  and It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Kathryn, here: https://thebookdate.wordpress.com/

My week was much the same. Work, etc.  Spawn was on school holidays (back tomorrow) and J also took the 2 weeks of the holidays off, so I've been the only one working.

J goes back to work tonight so we'll go back to "normal."

We came 4th - by ONE POINT at quiz on Wednesday which is always a somewhat bitter pill for me as I tend to be competitive. I know it happens, I just don't like it.

J took my car in to a different place for a second opinion on what work needed done, and their quote was a solid $1500 less than the first place for the warrant of fitness. I had been considering whether it was even worth keeping it, but a friend insisted we get a second opinion. So it's just a couple of tyres and the brake pads that need replacing. 

I didn't do very much at all yesterday, although I went to my friend's as usual. We've run out of reality TV for a while so we're diving in to the backlog of British crime dramas that we seem to have stacked up.

Spawn and I went to the library today as he'd asked to go, and I left without borrowing any books. I mean, I still have about 10 or so out of the library, but leaving with none is very unusal.

I've done some stitching as well this weekend and watched a couple of movies - Now You See Me and Now You See Me 2 which were fun. I also finally finished season 3 of Only Murders in the Building, which I really enjoy, and I watched the first 3 episodes of season 2 of Our Flag Means Death.

I finished Secluded Cabin Sleeps Six and ... eh. It was okay, but for a thriller I felt the author pulled a lot of punches where she could have followed through. I'm still reading The Persians albeit very slowly.

I also started The City of Last Chances by Adrian Tchaikovsky and I decided to re-read Hallowe'en Party as well.

How about you? How's your week? What are you reading?

15 comments:

  1. Any time I lose by 1 point (or come in 4th), I find it frustrating. Especially if I can point to what I missed that cost me. Next time, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes... somehow losing by a single point is always frustrating!! What a huge difference in the different quotes for the work on your car - thank goodness you decided to get a second opinion! I hope the coming week is a good one, Maree:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a big difference in the car quotes. I hope all of works out. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry to hear you lost the quiz with only one point. That's nice the second opinion for your car made such a difference and gave a lower quote. I hope you'll have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh bummer about quiz. One point- that's tough. Wow about the car quote too. $1500 less is huge!

    I'm trying to find some good spooky reads for October. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) It's spring here but I really enjoyed Summer Sons by Lee Mandelo which is very kind of southern Gothic.

      Delete
  6. I had a nice quiet week. I'm glad your second opinion on your car was more reasonable but it's still a lot of money. Sorry to hear about quiz. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always a little jealous when my husband and daughter get time off and I still have to work. Today's my turn though. It's a holiday for for me, but schools are still in session and my husband has to work. There are many things I probably should be doing around the house, but I am spending time visiting blogs and reading my books instead. I'm calling it self-care. :-)

    That's quite a difference in cost for repairs between the two places! I am glad you were able to find a place with a lower price.

    I hope you are enjoying The City of Last Chances and your reread of Hallowe'en Party. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am finishing reading, "Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine" by Gail Honeyman. It is a touching and beautifully written novel that explores themes of loneliness, trauma, and the power of human connection. The story's quirky and complex protagonist, Eleanor Oliphant, is both endearing and relatable. As readers follow her journey, they will find themselves immersed in her world and rooting for her personal growth and happiness. The novel combines humor, heartache, and hope in a compelling narrative that keeps you engaged until the very end. Overall, it's a highly recommended read for those who enjoy character-driven stories with emotional depth.

    ReplyDelete