Monday 13 November 2023

Two reviews


Agatha Christie: A Very Elusive Woman by Lucy Worsley

If you have been here for some time you will know that Agatha Christie is one of my favourite authors, so when I saw this biography in the library, I grabbed it to read.

I don’t read a lot of non-fiction as a rule, but I do like a good biography. And I did enjoy this one.

It goes into Dame Agatha Christie’s personal and professional life and places everything in a historical context – her marriages, her books, and her disappearance in 1926.

It’s written in a very readable and conversational style which I enjoyed.

Also, I need to re-read pretty much every single Agatha Christie book I own.

 


Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo

This one was actually recommended to me by a workmate. So when I saw it was in at the library a few weeks ago, I took it as a sign.

And I’m so very glad I did, because it was so much fun to read. Galaxy (Alex) Stern has a particular gift – she can see dead people. This brings her to the attention of Lethe House at Yale, a type of oversight committee for the Ancient Eight Houses of the school who all specialize in different kinds of magic.

Alex has come to Yale carrying a dark past and an even darker secret, but she takes the chance to start over. However, when her mentor Darlington vanishes, she finds that she’s a bit more over her head than she realised.

It’s fast-paced, readable and honestly Alex is one of my most favourite fictional characters.

So much fun.

2 comments:

  1. It was really interesting, and very accessible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to re-read my Agatha Christie books--and read the ones I haven't read yet. The biography of her life sounds really interesting!

    I've enjoyed other of Leigh Bardugo's novels and hope to read Ninth House one day. I am so glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete