Saturday 27 May 2023

Sunday Post 10; It's Monday! What are you reading? 10

 


The Sunday Post - a chance for bloggers to have a chat and a catch-up is hosted by Kimba, here: https://caffeinatedbookreviewer.com/ and It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Kathryn, here: https://thebookdate.wordpress.com/

Is it me, or is the year going faster and faster? I swear I blinked on Monday morning and now it's Sunday afternoon again!

Let's see... 

Spawn was struggling last Sunday with a swollen cheek and very sore tooth. I kept him home on Monday, and performed a miracle: I got him into the dentist that same day (it's almost impossible to get a same-day dentist appointment here). I worked in the morning, then took him in.

He had a dead tooth, and the options were either an extraction or a root canal and a crown. With the extraction the problem was once his wisdom teeth cam down(they haven't yet) it would push his other teeth over into the gap.

So we opted for the root canal. He's had his first appointment, and has two more. At the last one they'll put in the crown. Luckily, in New Zealand, dental treatment is free for children under 18. (Not braces. Braces ask for a kidney, half of  your liver and a portion of your soul. [He doesn't have braces for this reason]). 

So Monday and Tuesday were rocky for the poor kid, to say the least.

I went to quiz on Wednesday night as usual, and we came in second, which was nice.

Friday night I had the house to myself as spawn was off for a sleepover, and Jeremy works nights.
I ended up going to bed early and reading for a bit. It gives me a glimpse into what my life might look like once spawn is away, living his own life. I have enough of my own interests (I hope) to get through empty nest syndrome, but it's not something I'm looking forward to.

On Saturday, myself, spawn and a friend of mine went to the library, and as always on a Saturday evening, I went to the same friend's house for reality TV, stitching, and setting the world to rights. 

I'm still reading The Two Towers, and also The Rembrandt Affair. I also still have Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit on the go. 

I still need to take some pictures of the cross-stitch works in progress I have on the go for a post, but that's a job for next weekend, I think.

Anyway. How's your week? What are you reading?

24 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about Spawn's tooth, but good thing you were able to get him into the dentist the same day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised, dentists here have VERY long waiting lists

      Delete
  2. Nice to hear about free dental care for under age 18 in New Zealand. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a relief, actually. Once he turns 18 the free ride is over though.

      Delete
  3. Root Canals are tough, painful, and expensive. So glad it's covered and you don't have to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So stressful for the poor kid, and two appointments to go :(

      Delete
  4. What a relief that you don't have to pay for root canal treatment for Spawn. And I hope the coming week isn't quite so eventful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope Spawn is doing well. Dental problems are no fun. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's definitely doing better than last week. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. It's wonderful that the dental work is covered, but so sorry that he was in pain. My daughter is nearing the end of her braces. Insurance paid for about half, but they still cost us a fortune!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I don't have the type of health insurance that covers braces and even then I'd still be out of pocket. So expensive.

      Delete
  7. Braces lol. It's about the same here. Not cheap. I hope your son is doing well after his dental adventures. :)

    It is hard when kids leave. I'm going through that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have at least a couple of years but having an empty house definitely makes me think about it more.

      Delete
  8. Awww...I hope Spawn is doing well.

    Here’s my Sunday Post

    Please join the Book Photo Sundays and Cover Spotlight

    Rabbit Ears Book Blog: WORLD’S WEIRDEST BOOK BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's doing much better now - thank you!

      Delete
  9. Dentistry is so expensive, we get $1000 of treatment free for per year for each child, but it doesn’t cover braces or dental surgery which is why my daughter still has an extra tooth.
    I’m down to one at home full time from four and it’s been a pretty brutal adjustment. A lot of the time I just pretend they are in their rooms which is where they spent most of their time anyway!

    Wishing you a happy reading week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house is definitely quieter when he's away at a friend's place.

      Delete
  10. Oh no! I am glad that you were able to get your kiddo into the dentist so fast. It is like that here too, almost impossible to get in same day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised honestly. Relieved, but surprised.

      Delete
  11. Sorry to hear about Spawn's tooth but I'm glad a fix has begun. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you were able to get into the dentist!

    Jill
    http://www.allthebooksihaventread.com/

    ReplyDelete