Saturday 20 January 2024

The Sunday Post 41; It's Monday! What are you reading? 41

 


The Sunday Post - a chance for a catch-up - is hosted by Kimberly, here: https://caffeinatedbookreviewer.com/ and It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Kathryn, here: https://thebookdate.wordpress.com/

Let's see ... capitalism opened its maw wide and trapped me yet again, so I had to go to work.
Quiz started again on Wednesday night and we set off on a positive note with a win, which was nice.

I was not feeling great towards the end of the week so I took a couple of sick days on Thursday and Friday. Just general run down-ness I think. It's also been extremely hot here (for those playing along who don't realise, I live in New Zealand. It's summertime) and I do not do well with the heat. I'm an autumn/winter supferfan. 

So I sat on the couch, and watched TV pretty much. I've finished TNG and started Voyager. I forgot how much I really enjoy Voyager. I also watched Peter Ustinov's Evil Under the Sun, which was a lot of fun. In the spirit of trying to watch new things and not just rewatch old things, I started Reacher. I've only read one of the books and honestly thought it was just okay. The show is fun though, as the premise seems to be "large man hits things", and I'm here for that.

Anyway. I took spawn for a haircut on Saturday morning which has been a long time coming - I just hadn't got around it to it but he definitely needed one. We also went to the library and the supermarket - as Son of Mine put it, it was a proper adventure. (We bought snacks.)

I went to my friend's last night as usual and we binged a few more episodes of The Traitors UK, which is absolutely my favourite show.

Today was super exciting with housework and another supermarket visit. I spent the afternoon listening to one of my favourite podcasts (You Must Remember This, about Hollywood's first century) and I worked on a couple of blackwork projects. I might do a post on those at some point. 

I read The Watchmaker's Hand by Jeffrey Deaver recently, and thought it was .... okay. I like Mr Deaver's earlier works better - the twists are more twisty and shocking. I keep going back for some reason and honestly I should know better. I'm also reading Wyrd Sisters by Mr Sir Terry Pratchett, which is no less enjoyable for being a re-read. I also have Daisy Darkly by Alice Feeney on the go, which is a riff on And Then There Were None. So far so good.

How about you? How's your week? What are you reading?

15 comments:

  1. It's funny reading about your heat wave after reading so many posts with people talking about it being cold. I'm more of a warm weather fan, although it hasn't been too bad where I am in Southern California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same, reading so many posts where people are talking about how cold it is. :)

      Delete
  2. The Feeney book sounds good! I have one of hers on my TBR I think... Evil Under Sun does sound good. I like those older movies.

    Congrats on qiuz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evil Under the Sun is a fun movie. Thank you :)

      Delete
  3. I hope you feel better this week and that maybe it cools off by you. I just started the audiobook "Everyone in My Family Killed Someone" it's delightful so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It cooled down, rained a lot and then heated up again. It's a very weird summer, weather-wise.

      Delete
  4. Oooh, I love Reacher, the TV series, hubby and I just finished the season 2 finale last week. I haven't read any of the books but I'll try to get in a couple before the next season. (Hoping there's a next season!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you haven't felt very well. I hope your sick days did you some good and you're feeling better now.

    I want to watch Reacher, but my husband and I really hate how the Prime app works. Also, my husband is mad they replaced Tom Cruise even if he didn't look like the Reacher from the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did, thank you. :) I haven't seen the Tom Cruise Reacher movie, but I'm enjoying the series.

      Delete
  6. We just started season 2 of Reacher tonight!

    I am also not feeling that great at the moment. Have a summer cold. Hopefully we will both start to feel a bit better soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I'm sorry. The couple of days off I had did me no end of good. I hope you're feeling better.

      Delete
  7. I have the sniffles too and can't get rid of them. It's not covid - yet. I say yet because my husband is a counselor at a correctional facility and they are rampant with it. I finally got around to framing a diamond painting I completed over a year ago on Sunday and got it hung so that made me happy. Glad you and your son got your errands done. We started watching Servant since we signed up for a 3 month free Apple TV preview. It's pretty addictive and we just started the third of four seasons last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I hope you didn't get Covid!! I do hope you're feeling better.

      Delete
  8. Two weeks leave, delightful! Glad you had such a fun time at the one woman show. I finished reading Last Night by Luanne Rice this week. I'm getting over a sinus thing and hope I'll feel better tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete