Monday 1 January 2024

Two reviews

 

I picked this one up at the library, because I quite enjoy Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs together.

And I always have high, high hopes that Jeffery Deaver is going to shock me again with the twist like he did with his early books.

Alas. Maybe I need to stop trying.

And the thing is, the book isn't bad. An old nemesis surfaces, determined to murder Rhyme, and then giant cranes around the city start malfunctioning on construction sites, and it's all related somehow?


Honestly I started to get a bit confused. Then slightly bored, then confused again. And that signature twist was missing.

Daisy Darker by Alice Feeney is a riff on And Then There Were None. The Darker family gather on an isolated island to celebrate the matriach's 80th birthday. The house is on an island off Cornwall that can only be reached by a causeway, and when the tide is in, the house is completely cut off.

So the family - estranged parents, estranged sisters Rose, Lily and Daisy, and local laddo Connor who the family had taken under their wing when he was a child - gather at the house, Seaglass.

Then, they're cut off. THEN, the murders began.

I wanted to like this so much more than I did. I love And Then There Were None, and I was expecting a similar reveal or a clever twist. And there WAS a twist, but it was ... not clever. And it made absolutely no sense to me.

The book read okay, although the jumps into the past could get a little tedious, but the payoff wasn't worth the time spent reading, for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment