Monday 12 February 2024

Short reviews

 

Fourteen year old orphan Mona works in her aunt and uncle's bakery. She bakes, she sells to customers ... she can also create magic through dough.

However, when Mona literally trips over a dead body in the bakery's kitchen, things start to get bad very quickly.

A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking - apart from having the greatest title - is a fun fantasy novel. The magic system is a lot of fun, and there are some truly memorable characters. Not just Mona - there's Bob, the sourdough starter, Knackering Molly and Spindle, the thief. 

It's so much fun to read.


The Scottish Play, by way of Terry Pratchett's endlessly creative imagination. 

Featuring Nanny Ogg,  Granny Weatherwax, and Magrat, the newest witch, who has definite ideas about How Witching Should Be Done. Unfortunately, she's stuck with Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax, who just sort of .... get on with it.

The old king of Lancre is murdered, and a new one sits on the throne. A bad king. What are three witches to do? 

Well, not interfere, certainly ... 

Whenever I don't know what to read next, I have three go-to authors. Agatha Christie, PG Wodehouse - and Terry Pratchett. You really just can't go wrong with Discworld.


I wanted to read this one before watching the Netflix show. I'm glad I did, but they have very little in common. That's not a bad thing, though.

The book hints at terrible things and hauntings, but - for me - it didn't dive into them enough. I wanted ... more, if that makes sense. I read We Have Always Lived in the Castle a few years ago, and loved that one. It's creepy and tense and incredibly atmospheric.

I enjoyed Hill House, and do love a spooky story, but I wanted more from it than I got. 


No comments:

Post a Comment